CSS, Inc. has in immediate need for a management liaison (also called Technical Program Officer) to support the implementation of two NOAA programs in Guam: the Coral Reef Conservation Program (Coral Program) and the Coastal Zone Management Program. The staff member will be employed by CSS, who is under contract to NOAA. In support of the Coral Program, the liaison will deliver regionally relevant coral conservation services to Guam and their partners. The liaison will also support the implementation of Guam’s coastal management program approved by NOAA under the Coastal Zone Management Act. For both roles, the liaison will provide place-based and regional technical assistance related coastal management and coral conservation. This full-time position will be located on Guam.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Serve as the contract liaison for Guam’s Coral Reef Conservation Program:
- Provide management assistance to Guam’s coral reef management program to maintain programs and meet all program requirements
- Provide technical assistance in the areas of coral reef conservation, planning, and management, restoration ecology, climate change adaptation and planning, and watershed management.
- Coordinate with jurisdiction coral reef points of contact and other appropriate agencies on NOAA Coral Program activities in the region.
- Coordinate with federal partners in the development and implementation of initiatives in priority areas that are consistent with Coral Program goals and objectives.
- Support annual Coral Program planning process, including: fielding questions from, and coordinating calls with, potential principal investigators and local partners; conducting technical reviews of proposals; and providing implementation support to awarded projects.
- Support development and implementation of local action strategies initiatives in coral jurisdictions.
- Provide support for efforts to develop and manage marine protected areas and build management capacity, when appropriate.
- Conduct site visits or fieldwork to assist or assess Coral Program activities.
- Coordinate with Guam and NOAA’s federal program officer to negotiate, process, amend, and monitor the cooperative funding agreements; and provide technical reviews of other Coral Program funding grants and agreements.
- Provide guidance to Guam on their responsibility to ensure documentation on all coral reef projects, including permits; completion of financial requirements and environmental compliance; and adequate monitoring of ongoing coral reef management and restoration projects.
- Provide an interface between Guam’s work to address coral reef conservation and coastal management challenges.
- Provide information to outreach and communications staff for the development of locally-tailored coral reef outreach and education materials.
Serve as the contract liaison for Guam’s Coastal Zone Management Program:
- Provide support and assistance to Guam’s implementation of its coastal zone management program approved under the Coastal Zone Management Act.
- Coordinate with Guam and NOAA’s federal program officer to negotiate, process, amend, and monitor cooperative agreements and grants; and provide technical reviews for other proposals as necessary.
- Support Guam in the implementation of Coastal Zone Management Program activities, including: review and analysis of proposed program policy changes; program evaluations required under the CZMA; and the development, review, and approval of five-year assessments and strategies.
- Provide subject matter expertise and regional coordination support on coastal management issues.
- Identify Guam’s coastal management program highlights and other opportunities to communicate partner success stories.
- Identify and facilitate programmatic synergies across the Coral and Coastal Zone Management programs to enhance execution and results, and/or identify joint projects.