CSS is recruiting for a full-time Species Verification Lead to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC), in Falmouth, MA.
The Species Verification Lead will work closely and cooperatively with the FSB to insure proper identification of samples and photographs of fish, invertebrates, and corals.
Duties will include:
- Ensure all fish, invertebrates and coral species submitted as verification photos or specimens are identified according to defined protocols and verify they are properly entered into the SVP database.
- Review, audit, and correct species verification records.
- Work with Debriefers to address observer ID issues and make appropriate changes to current trips and occasionally a number of trips based upon an observer’s species identification history.
- Produce documents outlining the formal process for species verification including “NEFOP SVP Description of Process Documentation” and a variety of other process documents.
- Create and regularly update a photo ID guide for observers called the “Photo Guide to Common Species Encountered in the Northeast Fisheries Observer Program.”
- Check and recommend updates to common and scientific names species commonly used in the program.
- Conduct individual reviews of species verification accuracy and SVP compliance with observers during all in-house debriefings.
- Review comments on trip file worksheets from Data Debriefers to make sure that Data Debriefers are appropriately communication with observers about species verification issues identified by the species verification program; send out monthly notices to Data Debriefers about any SVP issues not properly documented.
- Answer calls/questions from observers all about species verification and the SVP.
- Develop and regularly update a photo library of the best photos for each species commonly encountered in the SVP program so that all the staff and observers will have access to clear examples for communicating about and identifying species.
- Provide information to training and other staff to improve species verification including identifying common problems to identifying species and information to improve training.
- Provide summary from SVP for each training class to assist the next class (first three (3) trips) after certification to the Data Quality Team (DQT).