CSS is recruiting for a full time Facilities Maintenance Technician to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA). The facility technician will provide routine facility maintenance in support of scientific research objectives at The Cooperative Oxford Lab, Oxford, Maryland. The site is NOAA-owned and hosts 35 federal and state scientists and approximately 20 military personnel assigned to US Coast Guard Station Oxford.
This is a full time, Monday-Friday position. The successful candidate must be available daily for ON-CALL duty to address emergencies; and will be required to use a Government furnished vehicle to pick up supplies.
Responsible for preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs inside and outside on an 11.5 acre property with multiple buildings. The facilities maintenance technician will maintain and repair all buildings and assets, including but not limited to HVAC, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, inspections, and other miscellaneous repair and maintenance projects. Responds to service requests and work orders and completes preventive maintenance tickets. Emphasis is on quality workmanship and task completion. Technician will engage with laboratory personnel in a professional manner. Position works under daily guidance of CSS Facilities Maintenance Technician II and task direction of designated NOAA facility manager.
- Assists with troubleshooting and repairs of buildings and installed systems to include: HVAC, seawater, plumbing, pumps, drains, and roofs.
- Performs routine, repetitive daily inspection and maintenance necessary to laboratory building exterior/interior.
- Performs preventive maintenance as required on equipment such as replacing light bulbs & ballasts, filter changes, lubrication, inspection, and adjustment of belts and pulleys, cleaning of boiler and condenser tubes, coil cleaning, greasing motors, bearing replacement, and regular inspections of equipment.
- Completes minor carpentry, welding, plumbing, electrical, heating, painting, drywall patching and assigned duties as scheduled on a daily basis.
- Adjusts variable frequency drives, pumps and valves to deliver appropriate amounts of seawater from river to sump and to distribution points around property.
- Maintains lighting systems throughout the facility, cleaning fixtures and replacing bulbs and lamps.
- Performs repairs on doors, hardware, lock, ceilings, and floors.
- Cleans and paints equipment and surrounding areas relating to equipment and equipment rooms.
- Assists with maintaining government vehicles in a clean and safe condition.
- Must be willing and able to support after-hours building related activity as required.
- Responds quickly to emergency situations, summoning additional assistance as needed.
- Conducts routine monthly and weekly preventative maintenance inspections as assigned.
- Looks for safety concerns and reports situations to reduce and/or eliminate accidents.