Click column header to sort
CSS is seeking a Physiologist/Toxicologist in support of NOAA’S Hollings Marine Laboratory in Charleston, SC.
- Support staff member to serve as a laboratory technician under the Toxicology/Physiology Program.
- Develop and optimize bio-marker assays to assess the mechanistic toxicity and physiological effects of chemical contaminants on estuarine invertebrate and vertebrate species.
- Conduct microbiological assays for assessing the interactions of chemical contaminants with pathogenic bacteria and for understanding the effects of chemical contaminants on environmental microbial communities.
NOAA’s Office for Coastal Management seeks an exceptional individual to provide GIS data management and technical support for the MarineCadastre.gov project. The successful candidate will support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Office for Coastal Management. The position will be located in Charleston, SC.
The successful candidate will serve as the Data Manager for MarineCadastre.gov assisting in the development, maintenance, and integration of new and/or updated data for the web site. The position is responsible for all the data published on the MarineCadastre.gov site and its associated applications (National Viewer, ESPIS, OceanReports). The position ensures the data are published in a timely manner and functioning properly.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the list below:
- Serve as the data manager for MarineCadastre.gov; understand and oversee all the data found on the site in collaboration with subject experts.
- Coordinate a small team of data stewards and lead weekly check-ins, delegate work, provide guidance when needed, and perform quality assurance and quality control on various data products.
- Lead MarineCadastre.gov data development, maintenance, and integration. Ensure associated work products are delivered in a timely manner.
- Research, acquire, and develop original and value-added data through internal and external collaboration and use standard operating procedures and guidance documents.
- Coordinate public data releases at least every other month. This may include new data, data updates, and service changes to improve the function of the MarineCadastre.gov National Viewer, Data Registry, and the OceanReports applications. This may involve authoring and publishing metadata to the NOS metadata repository.
- Publish, maintain, and administer MarineCadastre.gov’s map services which populate the National Viewer, Data Registry, OceanReports, and the GeoESPIS applications.
- Follow, maintain, and when necessary create new geospatial data management standard operating procedures.
- Serve as data lead Point- of-Contact with OCM developer staff on MarineCadastre.gov application development projects ensuring associated project work products are submitted in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoot user and application problems discovered on the MarineCadastre.gov site and when needed coordinate the resolution of these issues with IT, Data Engineers (DBAs), or application developers.
- Serve as a geospatial data subject expert for select MarineCadastre.gov data sets. This includes: reviewing partner-generated data for completeness and quality, reviewing and maintaining metadata, developing contextual text and information as needed, and updating the data liaison and change log records.
- Identify client needs and requirements. Communicate requirements to the project team and to the application development team.
- Respond to internal and public geospatial technical assistance requests and create instructional material for a technical and policy focused audience.
- Serve as tech advisor to data and or tool development and review deliverables on contracts executed offsite, through the Coastal Geospatial Service Contract.
The Senior Database Engineer will have overall technical responsibility for the design, configuration, implementation of multiple MySQL master DBMS and its replicas using MySQL Enterprise. The Senior Database Engineer will also serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) by providing hands-on expertise and thought leadership to ensure successful DBMS activities for database optimizations, schema versioning, data versioning techniques/strategies, and automated ETL operations, as well as detailed and thorough documentation to support such activities. Additionally, the Senior Database Engineer will also support existing MongoDB NoSQL data stores, and provide assistance with on-going data store development in a cluster environment across multiple nodes.
The selected candidate will:
- Support existing MySQL databases within the current DBMS, and provide direct support for DBMS database optimizations, schema versioning, and data versioning techniques;
- Design, implement and optimize data models utilizing new and existing databases within the environment to include installation and configuration;
- Design, configure, implement and document MySQL database clusters using MySQL Cluster CGE;
- Install, test, and configure latest versions of open-source PostgreSQL DBMS within a multi-node cluster configuration;
- Support MongoDB NoSQL data stores; develop and maintain data stores in a cluster environment across a multi-node environment;
- Perform installations, configurations, and necessary support for MySQL Enterprise Edition operations in prototype and production environments;
- Fully participate in application development teams by leading and/or participating in designing, testing, and documenting highly optimized data models for a wide variety of use cases;
- Provide responsive diagnostic support to correct processing anomalies found within the data environments;
- Review product owner requirements and specifications, and perform necessary analyses to ensure objectives and requirements are fully met;
- Support the team’s leadership in providing inputs to project resource estimates, scheduling, cost estimates, and technical reports, to include quality assurance reporting
- Provide assistance for specification preparation and other activities requiring a deep knowledge of data management principles and techniques;
- Develop and maintain accurate and timely technical documentation in support of DBMS activities;
- Perform other duties as required.
The Data Engineer Data Engineer will work with a team located at the US Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC facility to create tools and data pipelines that use the latest advances in data engineering to address research and business questions across research and development enabling scientists to build predictive models/algorithms.
Additionally, the selected candidate will:
Automate existing manual data and new data flow processes into Extract-Translate-Load (ETL) or Extract-Load-Translate (ELT) operations using fit-for-purpose tools.
- Write clean, maintainable data pipelines that feed data scientists/software developers through integration/presentation layer.
- Correct, transform and enrich multiple sources of data and provide quality reports.
- Quickly and efficiently load bulk and streaming data.
- Work closely with the data science team and internal business partners to identify the path to successful products.
- Perform other duties as required.
The primary function of this Full-Stack Web Developer position located at the US EPA, Research Triangle Park, is to assist in the design, coding and testing of technical user interface/UX development data-base driven solutions in collaboration with existing staff including, but not limited to, Product Owners, Subject Matter Experts and Application Architect and well as other developers.
Programs will be custom self-contained, database driven web applications, utilizing modularity and code re-use principals. This role will participate in maintenance and upgrades to existing websites and applications.
CSS is currently recruiting a Certified Industrial Hygienist to provide industrial hygiene services for our Federal government clients.
- Candidates should also have experience in performing independent evaluations of work environments and industrial processes (e.g. thermal stressors, noise, toxicology, biohazards, ergonomic) involving potentially hazardous environment conditions, analysis of findings and provide recommendations of corrective measures (e.g. non‐engineering controls and engineering controls).
- Candidates should also have experience in performing industrial hygiene assessments (e.g. ergonomic, ventilation, noise surveys/dosimetry) using and calibrating industrial hygiene equipment, and familiarity with sampling techniques for standard chemical and physical hazards.
- The positions require team-oriented professionals with strong organization skills, as well as excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- The position requires approximately 30% travel to client sites located both within and outside of the United States.
CSS, Inc. has an opening for an experienced Instructional Designer to support the design and development of performance-based adult training courses that may be classroom, virtual, or blended learning solutions. She/he will understand and implement effective adult learning strategies in the NOAA Office for Coastal Management’s (OCM) instructional products and services by working closely with management, subject matter teams, and incorporating input from targeted learners.
This is opening is for one (1) full-time position located in Charleston, SC.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communicating OCM’s instructional design process and tailoring design based on input from learners and subject matter experts.
- Applying e-learning and adult learning science best practices to advance the quality of OCM’s Digital Coast Academy.
- Working with cross-office teams to understand priority needs and applications of OCM target audiences for on-demand solutions that support regular use of OCM data and technical tools for improved on-the-job performance.
- Producing virtual meetings, webinars, and learning events, using Adobe Connect or similar platforms.
- Conducting training needs assessment scaled to meet project needs and scope to recommend appropriate instructional solutions.
- Designing and developing scientific, technical, soft skills, and accredited online and classroom courses that are learner-centered, need-based, and goal-driven, and use effective knowledge-transfer strategies.
- Designing and developing learning materials (e.g. content, activities, job aids, knowledge checks), and evaluation instruments (e.g. formative and summative).
Seeking a molecular biologist and/or biochemist with experience in general laboratory and/or biotechnical applications for a full-time contract position with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS), Charleston Laboratory. This technical support position is integral to advancing NCCOS’ Stressor Detection & Impacts strategic science objectives via developing and deploying innovative coastal ocean observing technology to support early detection, predictive modeling, ecological forecasting, and assessment of impacts on coastal resources. Currently the research focuses on detection and monitoring of harmful algal blooms and their toxins. The successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to work with biosensing technologies (e.g., antibody-based techniques, surface plasmon resonance (SPR), waveguides, electrochemical sensors).
· Assists researchers in developing antibody-based assays for autonomous and field-portable biosensors to detect microbes and their metabolites;
· Implements established SOPs and QA/QC procedures for printing protein arrays and executing SPR surface chemistry protocols, and assists researchers in method development;
· Assists in maintaining biosensor/ bioanalytical instrumentation (e.g., SPR instrument);
· Maintains up-to-date, well-organized, and highly detailed laboratory notebook covering all relevant research activities/experiments;
· Collects, performs preliminary analyses of, and reports on experimental data to research personnel and supervising scientist;
· Responsible for general laboratory maintenance including, but not limited to, washing/ autoclaving glassware, preparing algal culture media, inventory of supplies/reagents, etc.
Recruiting for site assessment and emergency response personnel nationwide to support Superfund Technical Assistance and Response Team (START) contracts
- Perform as a member of the START emergency response team (ERT) providing the EPA client with accurate and pertinent scientific data according to agreed upon methods, procedures, and techniques
- Duties will include rotations as an “on-call” responder available 24hrs a day for a week at a time
- Willingness to participate in the Emergency Response On-Call Program and maintain preparedness for immediate mobilization while on-call.
- Use level D-A PPE to make entries into potentially hazardous areas
- Calibration and maintenance of a variety of multi-media monitoring and sampling equipment.
- Document field activities and prepare daily and final reports for EPA client
- In-field multimedia sampling
- Assist with the writing of technical documents and plans
- Provide timely task status reports and other required reports to Project Managers
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
The on-site work is in support of a US EPA contract based at the USEPA in Research Triangle Park, NC. We are seeking a dynamic individual to provide support to the National Homeland Security Research Center’s (NHSRC) Decontamination Technologies Research Laboratory. This position will be responsible for lab work, and data processing.
Duties may include:
- Analyzing a high throughput of microbiological samples from different types of media
- Performing serial dilutions, gram staining, agar plating assays, and phase contrast microscopy
- Writing SOPs and help with general lab chores, making agar plates, and autoclaving
- Chemical Inventory
- Sample Tracking
- Chain of Custody
- Troubleshooting issues
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.:
Inside Laboratory work involving minimal lifting, <35lbs, and wearing PPE.
Computer equipment operation.
Punctual M-F work schedule with some occasional overtime.