Click column header to sort
CSS is seeking part-time Professional Vehicle Drivers to join our team!
Driving a 15-passenger van.
Fetching and welcoming personnel at each stop.
Traveling a pre-determined route within a manufacturing campus, unless otherwise directed.
Service is a continuous loop with planned and timed stops for employees of a large manufacturing facility.
Complying with road and safety regulations at all times.
CSS’s Human Resource team has an immediate opening for a Human Resource Generalist to support our corporate office in Fairfax, VA. The ideal candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter who is intellectually curious, enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, and adapts easily to change. Qualified candidates will pose talent management experience with a focus on health care, onboarding, benefit administration, and general administrative duties. The selected candidate will have exceptional written and oral communications skills, data gathering and analytical skills, detailed oriented. In addition, essential requirements include proficiency with MS Office, superb customer service skills and the ability to handle confidential information.
- Conducts or acquires background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Implements new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute Human Resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Leads employee relations and outreach including the development and delivery of employee engagement initiatives, the creation and administration of personnel policies and procedures, providing employee counseling and coaching, and maintaining and modeling positive employee interactions at all times.
- Supports recruitment including developing recruitment sources and strategies, advertising, sourcing, screening, interviewing, and maintaining Applicant Tracking System
- Supports learning and development programs including new hire orientation, internal training and education, and identifying and planning external learning opportunities.
- Administers the annual performance evaluation and compensation and promotion review programs.
- Manages benefits program to include annual analysis and review, escalated claims resolution, enrollment/termination, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, education, and communicating benefit information to employees.
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employee relations, EEOC, benefits reporting and testing, employee records, and all federal/state regulations compliance matters.
- Prepares and analyzes various reports and spreadsheets to support HR metrics reporting, compensation and benefits planning, and program analysis.
- Assists in quality control and maintenance of Human Resource Information System (PAYCOM) records including new hires, pay/benefit changes, benefit rates and options, and database reporting.
- Leads various diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Experience working in a HRIS and ATS, preferred
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Human Capital Management; or a related degree in business administration, business management, Organizational Development Psychology, or Sociology plus 3 years of experience in the application of Human Resources.
NOTE: 3 years of experience may be substituted for bachelor’s degree
- Professional certification (i.e., PHR, SHRM-CP, CPP, CPM, CBP) is a plus
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access and navigate each department at the organizations facilities.
Considering a career in chemistry or environmental science? Join CSS as a part-time chemistry technician supporting team-oriented research projects of national importance related to ecosystem monitoring and environmental assessment on our contract with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Pacific Ecological Systems Division in Corvallis, OR. Undergraduates in science majors are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities: Support CSS chemists in the following tasks related to the analysis of environmental samples:
- Prepare water, soil, sediment and tissue samples for analysis, including: filtration, preservation, sieving, grinding and digestion.
- Conduct extractions of soil, sediment and biochar samples following standard procedures
- Prepare reagents
- Verify and validate experimental data using Excel
- Assist with labware washing and laboratory housekeeping
- Maintain laboratory records
CSS is seeking a Environmental Scientist with experience in general laboratory and/or biotechnical applications for a full-time laboratory-based contract position with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS), Hollings Marine Laboratory. This technical support position is integral to advancing NCCOS’ Stressor Detection & Impacts strategic science objectives via developing and deploying innovative coastal observing technologies to support early detection, predictive modeling, ecological forecasting, and assessment of impacts on coastal resources and economies. Currently the research focuses on detection and monitoring of harmful algal blooms and their toxins in marine and freshwater (Great Lakes) systems. The successful applicant will have a demonstrated familiarity and ability to work with biosensing technologies (e.g., antibody-based techniques, surface plasmon resonance (SPR), waveguides, electrochemical sensors).
• Assists researchers in developing antibody-based assays for autonomous and field-portable biosensors to detect harmful algae and their toxins;
• Implements established SOPs and QA/QC procedures for printing protein arrays and executing SPR surface chemistry protocols, and assists researchers in method development;
• Assists in maintaining biosensor/ bioanalytical instrumentation (e.g., SPR instrument);
• Maintains up-to-date, well-organized, and highly detailed laboratory notebook covering all relevant research activities/experiments;
• Collects, performs preliminary analyses of, and reports on experimental data to research personnel and supervising scientist;
• Responsible for general laboratory maintenance including, but not limited to, washing/ autoclaving glassware, preparing algal culture media, maintaining laboratory equipment, inventory of supplies/reagents, etc.
• Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences, biochemistry, or related discipline (including at least 2 years of chemistry coursework), or some combination of education and two years of progressively responsible, relevant work experience equivalent;
• Demonstrated ability to conduct and assist in the development of complex research protocols for biosensor/ bioanalytical instrumentation while maintaining safe laboratory practices;
• Demonstrated ability to learn to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot sensitive biosensor/ bioanalytical instrumentation and novel technologies;
• Demonstrated ability/ skills in analysis, organization, and communication of scientific data;
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team, with strong interpersonal as well as written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to calculate molarity, sample dilutions, standard curve concentrations, and execute other basic chemical formulas essential;
• Basic mechanical knowledge and a strong level of manual dexterity required; ability to conduct minor repairs and modifications to electromechanical fluidic sensor devices as directed;
• Experience with sterile technique preferred;
• Highly proficient in MS Office applications, familiarity with statistical software and Matlab beneficial, and ability to learn/apply new application-specific software packages as required.
• Ability to work proficiently with computer keyboards and screens;
• Ability to move about a chemistry lab and complete bench-level tasks safely and efficiently;
• Ability to lift 35 lbs.
CSS is currently recruiting Certified Industrial Hygienists to provide safety, health and environmental (SHE) support services for our Federal government clients.
- Candidates should have experience in performing independent evaluations of building and work environments involving potentially hazardous environment conditions, analysis of findings and provide recommendations of corrective measures (e.g. non‐engineering controls and engineering controls).
- Candidates should also have experience in performing industrial hygiene assessments (e.g. ergonomic, ventilation, noise surveys/dosimetry, indoor air quality) using and calibrating industrial hygiene equipment, and familiarity with sampling techniques for standard chemical and physical hazards.
- The positions require team-oriented professionals with strong organization skills, as well as excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- The positions require travel to client sites located both within the United States.
- • The positions require travel to client sites and the ability to work remotely.
- BS degree in Industrial Hygiene, Science or related discipline
- Experience conducting safety, health and environmental assessments
- Experience working with, and knowledge of safety, health and environmental standards and regulations
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Computer skills including Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) by American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH)
- Demonstrated ability to work as a solid contributor in a team environment.
- Capable of multi-tasking and changing direction depending on work load.
CSS is seeking a Natural Resource Economist to conduct research on the non-market and/or market value of natural resources in marine and coastal environments. The successful candidate will become a member of an interdisciplinary research team supporting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science in the Biogeography Branch. The Biogeography Branch is a nationally recognized scientific program that conducts research, monitoring, mapping, modeling and assessment of marine ecosystems. The branch conducts analysis, provides data, and creates tools and other products in support of natural resource managers and marine policy.
● Modeling of non-market and market value for ecosystem services to predict the effect of ecosystem change on that value
● Conducting economic trade-off, cost/benefit, and economic impact analysis to evaluate alternative management or policy options using non-market and/or market data
● Conducting recreational demand modeling related to marine/coastal ecosystems to assess the value of natural resources
● Drafting reports and scientific papers summarizing research methods and findings
● Providing subject matter expertise to colleagues, clients, and research partners
● Participation in the development of research projects and funding proposals
● PhD in Natural Resource and Environmental Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related social science discipline or a Master’s degree and at least 2 years of professional work experience
● Demonstrated experience conducting pertinent economic analyses independently for at least 2 years
● Comprehensive methodological, statistical, and econometrics training with relevant work experience
● Expertise using a variety of statistical, mathematical programming, and database software packages, such as STATA, R, SAS, MATLAB or GAUSS
● Experience evaluating and analyzing economic data from large secondary datasets and/or primary data collections
● Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate orally and in writing
● Experience independently managing timelines for multiple work tasks
● Experience working effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary research team
● Non-U.S. citizens must possess current documentation authorizing employment in the United States
CSS is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist to support the Wind Energy Marine Spatial Planning Program within the NOAA National Center for Coastal and Ocean Science (NCCOS). The desired candidate will provide support for communications products development including development and management of a program level communications strategy and action plan to highlight high-impact projects and scientific outcomes to audiences within NOAA, the public, and decision makers. The candidate will provide engagement of internal and external partners to support and enhance communications efforts and raise awareness of the program. For internal NOAA coordination, the candidate will work with partners and NOAA communications staff across NOAA programs to submit updates on program news and provide web content updates to noaa.gov, including the development of maps, graphics, and other visuals. The candidate will also be responsible for production of short videos and will support the development of GIS web applications that are well-suited for public consumption.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop infographics and support software graphical design for GIS web applications
- Provide daily/weekly support on graphics for GIS team on map color and design
- Develop web content for the NCCOS website
- Develop video outreach ideas and content and scope project costs
- Develop program marketing materials for target audiences
- Develop factsheets, flyers, and graphics
- Develop graphics and powerpoint support materials weekly
- Develop communications plans and products for joint agency (NOAA and BOEM) communications on wind energy spatial planning
- Develop internal and external NOAA communications including social media content, newsletters, email updates, etc.
- Master’s Degree in public relations, communications, or related field and at least 5 years relevant professional experience; OR Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 years’ of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NOAA programs and operations, coastal science, or coastal management topic area expertise preferred.
- Video and audio production and editing skills preferred
- Excellent speaking, writing, editing, organizational, communication, and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to work on several projects simultaneously, to shift priorities as needed, and to work productively in a fast-paced, team environment
- Demonstrated attention to detail. Self-starter with timely responsiveness and a service attitude
CSS Inc. has an immediate opening for an entry level Industrial Hygienist to provide industrial hygiene, occupational safety, and environmental services at our client site, the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. Candidates should have experience and knowledge in assessing workplace hazards, developing and implementing ES&H programs, and preparing comprehensive reports to document findings. The Industrial Hygienist will be responsible for performing a variety of tasks including respirator fit testing and program support, ergonomic assessments, indoor air quality and mold investigations, oxygen monitoring system evaluation, and general safety and health hazard assessments. The position requires a team-oriented professional with strong organization skills as well as excellent writing and oral communication skills.
1. BS degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Biology, Chemistry, or related science degree.
2. 1 or more years of related experience.
3. Detail oriented and self-motivated.
4. Experience working with and knowledge of ES&H standards and regulations. Effective written and oral communication skills.
5. Computer skills including: Excel, PowerPoint, Word.
1. Demonstrated ability to work as a solid contributor in a team environment.
2. Capable of multi-tasking and changing direction depending on work load.
3. Previous Federal government experience.
The successful applicant will be responsible for supporting the development of marine spatial planning research and products related to screening and siting of aquaculture, renewable energy, and other blue economy and conservation activities in coastal waters of the U.S. This will be a remote position and will require the ability to work effectively with a team of scientists from remote locations.
Key duties/responsibilities include:
• Development of custom geoprocessing tools and data models to support high-end spatial analysis, data analytics, and visualization applications to support decision making
• Perform geospatial and geostatistical analyses
• Organize and input data into databases, maintain accurate detailed records of observations, measurements and results
• Write reports and peer review journal articles
• Set and meet deadlines for completion of work in timely manner
• Work collaboratively in a team environment and contribute to other relevant projects as directed
• MS Degree plus 4 – 8 years of relevant experience required or BS degree plus 10 years of experience.
• Background in marine science is preferred and experience supporting NOAA or BOEM is highly desirable.
• Automation of data preparation, workflows and spatial processing
• Proficient in the methods, practices and techniques of advanced spatial modeling, including raster and vector analysis and cartography
• Knowledge of Python, including various packages and modules
• Knowledge of geometric networks
• Proficient with ArcMap 10.X, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online
• Ability to maintain focus on routine and repetitive tasks
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to be flexible in responding to changes in schedules and job priorities
• Able to work in a team environment
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some long days and infrequently on weekends
• A valid US driver’s license
• Experience with basic computer programs such as excel and word
• Able to work in the US without sponsorship
Development of custom geoprocessing tools and models to support high-end spatial analysis, data analytics, and visualization applications to support wind energy siting in U.S. coastal waters.
Key duties/responsibilities include:
• Acquisition of biogeophysical data for coastal U.S. waters
• Create and update GIS data as requested for use in GIS applications
• Organization and processing of data at various resolution and spatial scales
• Integrate GIS with various existing datasets
• Establish data rules and relationships to maintain data integrity and to simplify data entry through defining network and topology rules
• Assign and maintain domains and subtypes. Ensure best available data is being used across the spectrum of GIS datasets
• Development of custom geoprocessing tools and models to support high-end spatial analysis, data analytics, and visualization applications to support decision making
• Perform geospatial and geostatistical analyses (Vessel traffic, oceanographic, other data)
• Develop metadata to appropriate NOAA standards
• Write technical reports and peer review journal articles
• Work collaboratively in a team environment and contribute to other relevant spatial planning projects as directed
• Design and lead suitability modeling for wind energy siting exercises
• Develop and test experiments regarding different spatial analysis techniques